Old Cambrian Society

  OC Society
  OC Alumni
  OC News
  Events Diary
  Register Here
  Impala Project
  Where are they?
  Contact us

   W.J.H. "Bill" Liversidge - Staff from 1946-1963

W.J.H. "Bill" Liversidge
Staff member at the Prince of Wales School 1946-1963
(Nicknames: Liver Sausage, Twiga, Pull-Through)
Click Here for Staff Nicknames page

Photo & text sent in by Peter Liversidge (Scott 1957-1961)

Image of Bill Liversidge - Staff member at The Prince of Wales School 1946-1963
W.J.H. LIVERSIDGE (photo taken c1969)
(3/9/1915 – 29/3/1993)

On 9th October 2005, Webmaster received an e-mail message from Peter Liversidge:

William (Bill) Liversidge was born at Caterham, Surrey. He was educated at Radley College, Abingdon and St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, where he took a degree in History and a Diploma in Geography. After leaving Oxford he was appointed to teach at Diocesan College, Cape Town (Bishops). In 1940 he was commissioned into the Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Rifles (“The Dukes”), now the Cape Town Rifles, and served during the 1939-45 War in Somaliland, Abyssinia, North Africa, Madagascar and Italy.

After the War he joined the Colonial Service and from 1946 until 1963 he taught at the Prince of Wales School where he taught mainly Geography, and also helped with English, History, French and beginners’ Latin. He was Assistant Housemaster and later Housemaster of Grigg House, and became a qualified MCC cricket coach, though rowing was his chosen sport at school and university. He was involved with the CCF at the school for many years, latterly as its Commanding Officer. In 1958 he was awarded the Efficiency Decoration for his service with the Kenya Regiment (TF). He left the school for a brief period in the 1950s to work as an Assistant Secretary in the Colonial Secretariat.

In 1963 he returned to England and settled in Abingdon. He taught at Cothill House Preparatory School until he retired in 1977. He was elected to Abingdon Borough Council in 1966, and served on the Borough and Town Councils for ten years, becoming Mayor of Abingdon in 1975-76. In 1976 he was appointed a Governor of Christ’s Hospital in Abingdon, becoming Master of the charity in 1986. For many years he served as Honorary Archivist for Abingdon Town Council and to Christ’s Hospital. In recognition of his work for Abingdon the Freedom of the town was conferred on him at a Special Meeting of the Town Council held on 15 March 1993, two weeks before he died at home of cancer.