Old Cambrian Society

  OC Society
  OC Alumni
  OC News
  Events Diary
  Register Here
  Impala Project
  Where are they?
  Contact us

   Obituary - Thomas Julian Scott


Thomas Julian Scott

Nickname: Tom
House: Grigg
Years: 1942-1944

On 1st January 2008, Webmaster received an e-mail from Norleen Scott (Tom's daughter) giving the sad news that Tom had passed away on 18th December 2007.

The following is his obituary from the local newspapers:

Scott, Thomas Julian passed away peacefully at home in North Vancouver on December 18th, 2007 after a lengthy illness. Born in Nairobi, Kenya in 1929, Tom came to Canada in 1953. He first worked in eastern Canada and finally settled in Vancouver working for the GVRD and City of Vancouver. Tom was the City Engineer of North Vancouver from 1970 to 1980 when many changes were taking place, including the debut of the Seabus. He later took engineering posts in many countries including Ethiopia, Egypt, and Indonesia among others. Retirement allowed Tom more time for hobbies such as Scottish fiddling, fresh water fish farming, gardening, bread making and volunteer work with BCSS and Marine View Housing. Tom's early Youth Hosteling activities dated back to the 1950's and continued with friends reuniting every two years all over the world.

Tom is much loved and sadly missed by wife Margaret, children James(Amy) and Norleen(Ken) and grandchildren Jacqueline, Reuben, Julian, and Casey.

The following was Tom's entry in the Alumni section of this web site prior to his death:

Thomas Julian Scott

Nickname: Tom
House: Grigg
Years: 1942-1944

Memories of School:
My 10 years of schooling were all in Kenya and have served me very well. The war was on when I was due to go to the PoW so, as a Nairobi resident and day boy, I cycled the five miles to a Standard 6 at the Nairobi Primary where there were sand bags around the school for a short time in case it was bombed by the Italians. Forms 1,2 & 3 were at the PoW campus after the boarders returned from the evacuation site at Naivasha. I was almost two years younger than the average age of the class so found it difficult to be part of the sports and social groups. Being a day boy ("stinker") didn't help. I did not enjoy, or do well among my peers in sports, except for the annual five mile cross country race, where small size helped. My schooling ended with a Cambridge School Certificate with London Matric Exemption at the end of Form 3, some months before my 16th birthday.

After the last exam in Form 3 left the School at about 4pm on my bicycle with a haversack and cycled solo around the Aberdare range staying overnight, mostly with friends or relatives, at Limuru, Gilgil, Thomson Falls, Rumuruti, Nanyuki, Karatina and back home to Burnbrae near Nairobi.

Since leaving School:
I started work as a pupil to the municipal engineer of Nairobi for four years 1945 to 1949, with study by correspondence courses for exams for under the auspices of the Institution of Civil Engineers of the UK a process that took me 10 years to become a Chartered Civil Engineer. During this 10 years I rapidly was given more responsibility which cut into study time. I worked for a year on the construction of the Ruiru Dam for the Nairobi Water Supply and later in my teens was the Clerk of Works on widening a small bridge and later the start of a filter plant , pump station and pipe line from the Nairobi Dam.

For two years I worked for my father's company Stirling & Scott Ltd, doing mostly water supply works. My annual vacation was to attend two Kenya Regiment training camps at Athi River. One engineering project was the design and construction management for a fish farm near Sagana Station, probably the first fish farm in the world for tilapia of which there are now many.

I took a year off to catch up on my exams, commencing in 1951, in Scotland and came to Canada in May 1953. In Canada I have worked in for consulting engineers in Toronto and Montreal with projects in Newfoundland and one winter on James Bay in Northern Ontario. In 1956 I moved to Vancouver where I have worked for a total of 22 years in interesting and demanding jobs with three local governments, with increased responsibilities in each case. Following that for the next 12 years, from Vancouver, I took on some interesting international projects, taking me to short or long stays in Ethiopia, Indonesia, Egypt, Thailand and Equador.

Early days in Canada were a struggle but subsequently I have been well rewarded, both financially and socially. I married a Canadian in 1963, and we have 2 children and three young grandchildren. Retired professionally, my hobbies are playing in a Vancouver Scottish Fiddle Orchestra which I helped to found, and I am a partner in a fish farm, now a sizeable operation raising the fresh water stage of salmon before they go to the sea farms . Both these interests had their origin in Kenya where I had a year of violin lessons and later in my work on the fish farm at Sagana.

(Registered 24th June 2004)