Old Cambrian Society

  OC Society
  OC Alumni
  OC News
  Events Diary
  Register Here
  Impala Project
  Where are they?
  Contact us

   Obituary - Peter Johnson


Lt Col (Retd) JFHP (Peter) Johnson, OBE

House: Clive
Years: 1937-1943

On 29th September 2006, Webmaster received an e-mail from Terry Titmus, the Rendham Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator:

It is with regret and great sadness to announce the death of Lt Colonel (ret’d) Peter Johnson OBE, Chair of the Suffolk Neighbourhood Watch Association on Tuesday 26th September 2006.

Peter had devoted many years to Neighbourhood Watch, as a co-ordinator and network chairman in the Mid Suffolk area, Chairman of the Suffolk Neighbourhood Watch Association and as the SNWA representative to the National Neighbourhood Watch. As Chair he always showed leadership, fairness and courtesy; Peter will be greatly missed by his many friends and colleagues.

The funeral will take place at 2pm on Friday 6th October 2006 at Rickinghall Church. There is a request for family flowers only but donations can be made via Fulchers Undertakers, 80 Whiting Street, Bury St Edmunds (01284 754049) for either The Askari Appeal or the Somerset Light Infantry Benevolent Fund.

The following was Peter's entry in the Alumni section of this web site prior to his death:

Lt Col (Retd) JFHP Johnson, OBE

House: Clive
Years: 1937-1943
Born 24 Aug 1926 in Nairobi. Lived in Kiambu on the edge of the Karura Forest until I joined the Kenya Regiment in early 1945.

POW School 1937 to early 1943. In Clive House. Member of the OTC band becoming Band Corporal. Rugby 1st XV and Hockey 2nd XI. The School spent two years at the Lake Hotel, then Sparkes Hotel, in Naivasha as the school buildings in Kabete became an army hospital.

I left in early 1943 as my father died and we couldn't afford any more school fees. Fortunately I had already taken the School Certificate with sufficient passes to gain exemption from Matriculation which meant I qualified for entrance to university.

I worked at the Medical Research Laboratory in Nairobi, as a laboratory technician, for two years between leaving school and joining the army . Although I had intended to become a doctor, I found that I enjoyed the army life so much that instead of leaving the army at the end of my "Call up" I went on to spend the next 37 years of my life soldiering.

In 1953 I married Julia Hill in Kuala Lumpur. She was Mervyn Hill's younger daughter. He was Editor of The Kenya Weekly News for many moons.

When I reached my "sell by" date I left the army and retired to Suffolk, where I still live.

(Registered - 11th Dec 2002)