Old Cambrian Society

  OC Society
  OC Alumni
  OC News
  Events Diary
  Register Here
  Impala Project
  Where are they?
  Contact us

   Peter Pegrume


Peter Pegrume

House: Grigg
Year: Sept 1939 - Dec 1944

Fading, but it was a great School and tough on discipline.
Memories that I can recall.
....... 10th July 1940. Italy joins in the War. PoW School closed and made into a Military Hospital. PoW Day Scholars "Stinkers" went to the Kenya Girls High School then known as the "heifa boma" for a couple of years. This was a rather traumatic period for us as we had to take a lot of ribbing from the other part of the school which had been transferred to the Lake Hotel at Naivasha. The school life that us boys had grown used to at Kabete was all turned upside down and we had to adjust to women teachers and young "ladies" dominating the now mixed classes. This did not auger well for our academic future.

1942 Return to PoW School at Kabete. Finally re-start our academic education.!!!!

Modern scholars might be interested to know that Saturday morning was a normal school class, although sometimes it was OTC. For the lucky ones it was "detention" after that!!

During my years at PoW our Headmaster was Mr. B.A. Astley, and he probably knew the geography of my backside better than anyone else as "Six of the best" was standard punishment. Later as a School Prefect I was able to mete out a similar punishment to house members who failed to stick to the strict discipline that was the order of the day. How times have changed. Despite it, I do not to this day bear any grudge and accepted it as normal if you overstepped the mark.

The day used to start with each house formed around the quadrangle with the flag staff in the middle. This area was "verboten" to all and so one had to walk all the way around to the quadrangle to go to the authorised area to attend morning prayers and meals. The Bugler would blow and the flag was raised. We would then be ordered to left turn and march to the assembly room. In the evening the bugler would again sound his call and the flag would be lowered. One had to stand to attention wherever you were during this time. Us dayboys were mainly home by then except those who had played sport.

One day a week we had OTC and had to attend School in Uniform. For an hour we were drilled before going to classes. Mr. 'Bush' Forrest was in charge and he was a strict disciplinarian.

Since leaving School:
Navy and then Kenya Police.
Aviation Avionics manager.
South Africa from 1966. Living in Cape Town.

(Registered - 8th January 2003)

If anyone wishes to contact Peter, please e-mail webmaster@oldcambrians.com to obtain his contact details